Sunday, April 1, 2007

My Thoughts on Food Safety

Hi

This is my first post...


When I first heard the word food safety, images of spoiled foods and related foodbrone illness conjured in my mind. I was under the impression that food safety deals primarily with spoiled foods and the consequent results.

However, food safety encompasses more than just spoiled food.

In essence, food safety is the science of ensuring the safe supply of foods from harvest to consumption. In order to achieve that, Food manufacturers must cooperate with food safety organisations or statutory boards.

Many nations come up with strict legislation that seeks to limit the passage of unsafe foods to their people. An example of food safety legislation is the Sales of Food Act (Singapore). These legislations may include the microbiological limit for specified foods; the amount of contaminants (i.e pesticides) permitted in foods; and so on.

No comments: